TMJ/TMDWe welcome you with warm smiles to our practice!
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
Symptoms of TMD include
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
Should you notice any of these symptoms, let your doctor know. Your dentist can identify the presence of TMD and create an effective treatment just for you.
There are a few simple steps you can take at home or work to prevent TMD from becoming more severe or from even occurring at all:
- Relax your face — remember the rule: “Lips together, teeth apart.”
- Avoid grinding your teeth.
- Avoid constant gum chewing.
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver to your ear with your hand.
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth.
- Do not sit with your chin resting on your hand.
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared.
Piedmont Dental Associates is your Salisbury dentist
Our friendly, dedicated, and energetic team is committed to working with you and your family to create a positive experience every time you visit our practice.
Our mission is to provide the highest quality comprehensive oral care to all patients in a timely, professional and respectful manner. We strive to have a positive impact on the quality of life for our patients and for the community.
YOUR SALISBURY DENTIST
Piedmont Dental Associates provides Family Dentistry, Advanced Prosthodontics, and Maxillofacial Prosthetics to Salisbury and the surrounding area. LEARN MORE
PIEDMONT DENTAL PATIENTS
New Patient Forms
Emergency Dental Care
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Visit our Hickory Location
Visit our Ferguson Location
Visit our Troutman Location
Visit our Mocksville Location
480 Jake Alexander Blvd.
West Salisbury, NC 28147